Your Trusted Family Attorney in Rockwall
Free Consultations 972.382.7011
Seeking Counsel for Family Law Let Me Safeguard Your Future

Annulment in Texas

Rockwall Divorce Attorney Explains How to Declare Marriage Null & Void

There are some situations in which your marriage can be deemed null and void. These are special circumstances that are separate from divorce. If a marriage is annulled, you can legally act if is the marriage never took place. Not every divorce can be annulled, however, and if you are considering having your marriage annulled, you need to work with an attorney. When you work with the Law Offices of J. Cameron Cowan, I fully review your particular case and help draft a unique strategy for your situation. I am proud to offer my legal services to residents throughout Rockwall and Kaufman, and if you have questions or concerns about the validity of your marriage, do not hesitate to consult and retain me as your Rockwall divorce attorney to get the answers you need today.

Requirements for Annulment

While the idea of annulling a marriage seems preferable to many people, there are very specific requirements that must be met to ensure that your marriage is really not valid; otherwise, you will have to proceed with a divorce. The circumstances that allow for an annulment are as follows:

  • Underage - If one party in the marriage was 14 or younger at the time of marriage, the marriage can be considered null. A petition for an annulment must occur within 90 days of wedding.
  • Impotency - Entering into a marriage with the intent of having a healthy sexual relationship is important to most people. If your spouse is impotent, then this can be considered a form of fraud if you can prove that you believed your spouse was not impotent prior to marriage.
  • Force - If you were threatened into a marriage or married without the mental capacity to realize that you were entering into a marriage, you may be able to have your marriage annulled. If you are able to leave the situation and the marriage is annulled, you can no longer live with that person.
  • Intoxication - At the time of your marriage, if you were under the influence of drugs or alcohol, you may be able to have your marriage annulled. This is only valid if you act quickly, though, and you can no longer live with that person.
  • Single state - In the state of Texas, you cannot get married within 30 days of a divorce decree or within 72 hours of receiving a marriage license. You must prove that the spouse did not wait the specified time period in order to have your marriage annulled.

These requirements may only fit a small number of people's specific situations, which is why it is important to work with an attorney right away if you are considering pursuing an annulment. Time is of the essence!

Contact the Law Offices of J. Cameron Cowan today and schedule a free 30-minute case evaluation!

  • The Divorce Process

    Review helpful information regarding your divorce & gain a better understanding of your rights & legal options.

    Learn More
  • Why Hire My Firm

    Work with a highly skilled & extensively experienced divorce attorney. I have handled more than 200 jury trials.

    Learn More
  • Rockwall Legal Blog

    Become fully educated about the laws surrounding your case so that you are more enabled to make informed & sound decisions.

    Learn More