Your Trusted Family Attorney in Rockwall
Free Consultations 972.382.7011
Do You Have More Questions? Let Me Safeguard Your Future

Frequently Asked Questions

Divorce Attorney in Rockwall

Any family law concern can be stressful, especially when you do not know where to turn or who to trust. If you are in the Rockwall, Texas area and are in need of legal assistance, you need to retain the Law Offices of J. Cameron Cowan right away. As a Rockwall divorce attorney, I work hard to ensure that each of my clients receives a favorable outcome or reaches an amicable resolution to their case in a short amount of time. After reading through some of the most commonly asked questions pertaining to family law, if you find that you still are seeking answers, do not hesitate to contact the Law Offices of J. Cameron Cowan.

What are the grounds for divorce in Texas?
The state of Texas recognizes seven different grounds for divorce: cruelty, insupportability, adultery, abandonment, conviction of a felony, living apart and confinement in a mental hospital. Your particular situation is unique, so it is important that you work with an attorney.

Should I establish paternity?
Yes! Fathers and mothers alike should ensure that paternity is established on your child's birth certificate. Establishing paternity can help with visitation, child support, and child custody in a divorce or family law case. A paternity test is simple and reliable and can be granted voluntarily or through a court order.

What types of divorce options do I have?
There are a few different ways that a divorce can be approached. Each situation is different, but the Law Offices of J. Cameron Cowan can help you determine whether an annulment, uncontested divorce, or divorce through mediation may be right for you and your family.

Can I change child custody arrangements?
Yes, with the assistance of an attorney, child custody arrangements specified in a divorce decree can be modified or changed on a temporary or permanent basis.

Can I modify my divorce decree?
In some situations, it may be necessary to work with an attorney to modify your existing divorce decree. This may be needed because of changing life or job situations, moves, or financial needs. I can help you petition the court for a modification that meets your needs.

What if I do not want to get a divorce?
If you were handed divorce papers from your spouse and do not wish to be divorced, you may consider working with an attorney. While your spouse has every right to file, it may be found that he or she lacks the required legal grounds for divorce. Through counseling or other means, you may potentially be able to repair your relationship.

Is a prenuptial agreement necessary?
Prenuptial agreements are something all couples should consider. If you are entering into a relationship with a substantial amount of income, debt or property, or if you have children from a previous marriage, prenuptial agreements can protect your assets in the event of a divorce.

Do I need an attorney to represent me?
Yes! It is never wise to try to represent yourself in a family law case. When you work with a divorce attorney, you can rest assured that your needs will be addressed and that an effective approach will be taken to benefit your case.

Contact My Firm for Answers to Your Specific Questions

If you still have questions or concerns regarding your situation, contact the Law Offices of J. Cameron Cowan right away. I have extensive trial experience and work hard to honestly evaluate each case to ensure that all necessary actions are taken to provide you with an amicable resolution. All questions and concerns regarding your situation can be directed to my firm, and you can call (972) 382-7011 to schedule a free 30-minute case evaluation with an experienced Rockwall divorce lawyer today!

Contact Us Today!

Safeguard Your Future & The Future Of Your Family
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.