Kaufman Child Custody Lawyer

Child Custody in Divorce, Post-Decree and Enforcements

The courts divide child custody into two categories: conservatorship and possession & access.

  • Conservatorship refers to the rights and duties of the parent to make decisions for the child
  • Possession &access relates to physical custody of and visitation with the child.

In some cases, sole managing conservatorship is granted to just one parent, but if so, usually some type of possession and access is given to the other parent. As custody issues are often surrounded with emotions and potential complications, let a skilled divorce attorney in Kaufman help you with your case.

When you work with the Law Offices of J. Cameron Cowan, you will received legal representation that is backed by nearly 20 years of experience. I have served in the U.S. Army Reserves JAG Corps, as the first assistant district attorney in Kaufman County, and as a chief felony prosecutor for 12 years. You can count on me to help you protect your family's future.

Child Custody Basics

How is child custody awarded?

Child custody is first determined on a temporary basis by agreement or by a court order. It will be decided permanently in the final decree of divorce or, if necessary, during a suit affecting parent-child relationship (SAPCR). The court considers the child's best interests to be of primary importance and will grant custody accordingly. It will examine factors such as physical and emotional needs, stability of the home environment, cooperation between parents, who has been the primary caregiver, geography, keeping siblings together, and any history of domestic violence, among other considerations.

How is child custody modified?

However, if you wish to modify custody down the road, you can do so as long as it is in the best interest of the child per the court's perspective. You will need to demonstrate that there has been a major change in one or both parents' circumstances necessitating a modification. If both parents cannot agree on a custody arrangement, you can participate in mediation or request a trial to have the court intervene. If the other parent fails to uphold the terms in court-ordered custody payments, we can take enforcement actions to get back child support paid through various legal actions.

If you are not awarded any conservatorship of your child, you will likely still have a right to some possession and access privileges. This is often termed visitation, although Texas courts do not use this term. A schedule will be set to determine how much time each parent spends with the child based upon what is believed to be in the child's best interests.

Hire a Trusted Kaufman Law Firm to Represent You

Going through a divorce is never easy, especially when children are involved. You need a compassionate, dedicated lawyer to fight for your parental rights and to pursue the best outcome for your family. Do not delay in contacting my office for more information. I pride myself on being a legal professional you can trust, no matter how challenging your situation may be.

Contact the Law Offices of J. Cameron Cowan Today

Safeguard Your Future & The Future Of Your Family

Send My Information